Mindful Internet Use
A Chrome Extension that prevents mindless browsing
What is Mindful Internet Use?
Mindful Internet Use is a unique Chrome Extension combatting the pitfalls of Problematic Internet Use. Rather than blocking websites, MIU aims to change user habits, instilling mindfulness during browsing. It encourages positive web usage through tools like breathing exercises and motivational quotes that resonate with the user's values. The extension promotes optimal internet use, allowing users to access mindless websites only after conscious consideration. Importantly, user data remains secure on their device, ensuring privacy.
The name MIU, short for Mindful Internet Use, can be viewed as the antonym of the Psychological term Problematic Internet Use (PIU). Problematic Internet Use is described as ”an inability to control one's use of the Internet which leads to negative consequences in daily life”.
Unlike many other extensions, MIU will not provide a quick fix by blocking websites. MIU will instead focus on the reason behind the problem, the user's tendency to browse the web mindlessly. By repeatedly encouraging a more intentional and mindful usage of the internet this extension will help the user to quit undesirable internet use.
The goal of this extension is to give its user a tool to help them avoid mindless browsing and unintentional internet use. This will be done by encouraging the user to breathe and present quotes that remind the user what they value before allowing the user to access a listed website.
Neither your quotes nor list of mindless websites will be sent anywhere, the data will remain secure on your own device.
User reviews summary
- Increases productivity and focus
- The mindful breathing exercises help reduce the urge to mindlessly browse
- Customizable settings and access times
- Promotes mindfulness and conscious decision-making when surfing the internet
- Helps in overcoming internet addiction
- Lack of website-specific maximum selectable access times
- Some issues with detecting certain characters or patterns in URLs
- Absence of a password lock feature for settings
- Users can bypass the extension by disabling it too easily
- Repetitive behavior of the extension after a cycle is completed
- Mindful breathing exercises
- Productivity improvement
- Customization options
- Website blocking effectiveness
- Desire for more granular control and features like password protection and whitelists
Mindful Internet Use may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing.
Mindful Internet Use has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Mindful Internet Use: