The Shodan plugin tells you where the website is hosted (country, city), who owns the IP and what other services/ ports are open.
What is Shodan?
'Shodan' is a Chrome extension designed to audit websites by giving detailed analytics. It allows you to view information about the host location (country, city), IP ownership, and uncovered services or ports a website may be running. This handy tool enables enhanced security visibility by disclosing all information Shodan has compiled about a specific website or domain.
The Shodan plugin for Chrome automatically checks whether Shodan has any information for the current website. Is the website also running FTP, DNS, SSH or some unusual service? With this plugin you can see all the info that Shodan has collected on a given website/ domain.
User reviews summary
- Simple and effective when working
- Helpful for information collection
- Handy tool to have
- Shodan is a great service
- Often breaks and does not display anything
- Requires regular maintenance
- Greyed out and inaccessible often
- Extension stops working frequently
- Extension not working/breaking
- Greyed out extension
- Very helpful when functioning
- Inaccessibility issues
Shodan may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing.
Shodan has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Shodan: