Turn your browser into a Neovim GUI.
What is Firenvim?
Firenvim is a distinct Chrome extension that allows Neovim to be utilized directly within your browser. It sets itself apart from other similar extensions by avoiding the creation of another OS window. To capitalize on Firenvim's functionality, some prerequisites are necessary, such as installing the Chrome addon, Neovim >=0.4.0, and the firenvim Neovim plugin. After installing the firenvim Neovim plugin, the user should run ':call firenvim#install()'.
This Chrome extension lets you use Neovim directly from your browser. Contrary to other extensions, it does not open a new OS window.
In order to install it you need:
- This Chrome addon
- Neovim >=0.4.0
- The firenvim neovim plugin: https://github.com/glacambre/firenvim
- Once the firenvim neovim plugin is installed, run
User reviews summary
- Fast and efficient
- Complete integration with neovim
- Improving over time because of the developer's dedication
- Excellent combination with Vimium and Grepper
- Allows use of typical init.rc configuration and plugins
- Doesn't load every time
- Instruction errors on the GitHub repo
- Tendency to leave 'nvim --headless' processes running even after the browser has been closed
- Some rough edges and not all sites work seamlessly
- Issues when trying to run the nvim terminal
- Neovim integration
- Speed and efficiency
- Maintenance and improvements by the developer
Firenvim may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing.
Firenvim has earned a fairly good reputation and likely can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Firenvim: