Lower RAM and CPU load by unloading idle tabs
What is TabMemFree?
TabMemFree is an efficient Chrome extension designed to streamline browser performance by automatically unloading idle tabs, helping to reduce RAM and CPU strain. It conveniently maintains the title and icon of unloaded tabs. It features user-friendly options to tweak the maximum idle time for tabs, check frequency, and offers the choice to safeguard pinned tabs from being unloaded. The extension fully respects user data privacy with all preferences stored locally and managed by Chrome, and no personal data is collected.
=== Features === Automatically unload idle tabs, while keeping their title and icon. Click extension icon to activate/deactivate it. Options to tweak maximum tab idle time and check frequency, and prevent pinned tabs unload.
=== Known risks === You may lose forms data when a tab gets parked.
=== User Data Policy === Extension preferences are saved locally and managed by Chrome. No personal user data is collected.
=== Recent changes === 0.3.1 Fix settings page not loading
User reviews summary
- Simple and effective
- Speeds up browsing experience
- Parks unpinned tabs, using minimal memory
- Lack of a whitelist or tab-specific exception feature, other than pinning
- Possible incompatibilities causing loss of tabs or failure to reload parked tabs
- Changes URL of tab, causing potential problems with other extensions
- Need for exception feature or whitelist
- Potential to lose work or tabs
- Speeds up browsing by saving memory
TabMemFree is safe to use. It does not request any sensitive permissions.
TabMemFree is probably trust-worthy. Prefer other publishers if available. Exercise caution when installing this extension.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to TabMemFree: