Block non educational YouTube videos
What is YouTube Blocker?
YouTube Blocker is a unique Chrome extension which categorically blocks non-educational content on YouTube. By focusing only on Education, Science & Technology, or Howto & Style categories, it ensures users redirect their focus onto enlightening, beneficial videos. Not linked to Google Inc., this extension helps promote productive use of YouTube. It's updated regularly and allows user participation via GitHub.
YouTube Blocker blocks YouTube videos not in the Education, Science & Technology, or Howto & Style categories so you can focus on watching educational videos.
YouTube™️ is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions. YouTube Blocker is not created by, affiliated with, or supported by Google Inc.
https://github.com/eric60/YouTube-Blocker Please feel free to fork this repo or make pull requests for improvements and bug fixes
Change Log [v3.4] 9/4/21: Updated setup instructions to be more explicit and clear
I had to remove the default key due to security concerns. You now have to create a key to use the application.
Sorry for the inconvenience but YouTube has removed the category label in video descriptions so the extension does not work anymore automatically. I have updated the application to get the category another way but you will have to set up your own data key in google. It should only take 5-10 minutes to create your own key from the instructions.
User reviews summary
- The extension helps users stay focused and avoid distraction
- Some users find it so useful they would be willing to pay for it
- It successfully blocks unwanted categories of videos
- It requires an account setup and input of an API key, which is a con for some users
- Some users reported that it fails to work after reaching an API limit, even when the limit was not reached
- There are concerns about functionality with certain types of videos and potential workarounds that allow blocked videos to be played
- The extension is very useful for blocking unwanted videos
- The setup with Google Cloud platform and key API is painful for some users
- Users would appreciate more customization, including the option to avoid redirections
- Request for the extension to be compatible with other platforms or have its own mobile version
YouTube Blocker is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install YouTube Blocker if you trust the publisher.
YouTube Blocker has earned a fairly good reputation and likely can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to YouTube Blocker: