This plugin displays your text in a textarea so you can use spellcheck plugins like Grammarly.
What is Overleaf textarea?
'Overleaf Textarea' is a Chrome extension designed to optimize spellcheck on Overleaf. It sources content from the file visible in the editor, filters out commands and keywords, and pastes the plain text in a textarea overlaying the PDF preview. This method enables integration with sophisticated spellcheck tools like Grammarly which cannot function in complex editors like Overleaf. Changes made in the textarea, either manually or via Grammarly, are evaluated and automatically merged back into the Overleaf editor, ensuring efficient proofreading.
Spellcheck in Overleaf is very basic. It is nothing compared to dedicated tools such as Grammarly. I used to copy and paste into Docs back and forward until recently. I created this chrome extension that copies the content of the file visible in the editor; filters the commands/keywords and pastes the plain text in a textarea (Right area). This textarea is displayed over the pdf preview. Extensions such as Grammarly can't check complex editors such as Overleaf, but only work in textareas. Changes made to the textarea, either by extensions such as Grammarly or yourself, are evaluated and changes are merged back to the editor.
User reviews summary
- Great for grammar checking in Overleaf documents
- Saves a lot of time
- Allows for correction in LaTeX projects
- Useful tool for non-native English speakers
- Fulfills a unique need
- Some reported issues with plugin crashing or not functioning correctly
- Underlining/suggestion targeting function can be offset in large documents
- Certain LaTeX commands can confuse the extension or display errors
- The PDF sometimes is shown above the richtext, causing some inconvenience
- Useful for grammar checking
- Saves time
- Issues after updates or maintenance
- Some LaTeX commands aren't filtered out
- Bugs in large or multiple-file projects
Overleaf textarea may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing.
Overleaf textarea has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Overleaf textarea: