Professional text editing for Chrome and Chrome OS
What is Caret?
Caret is an offline, professional text editor extension for Chrome and Chrome OS. Modeled after Sublime Text, its features include tabbed editing, syntax highlighting, project view, 'go to' functionality and multiple keystrokes. It's designed to assist developers, providing a serious programming environment without needing to install another OS.
Caret is a graphical text editor modeled on Sublime Text, running completely offline (no Internet connection required) and capable of opening and saving files anywhere on your hard drive. The goal of Caret is to provide a missing portion of the Chrome OS developer story: serious programmer tooling without needing to install a second OS and learn Vim.
- total offline support--no network connection required, ever
- tabbed editing
- syntax highlighting for many languages, and lots of color themes
- hackable settings files in JSON format
- remembers/restores open tabs
- open files directly from the Chrome OS file manager
- Project view with full-text search and project-specific settings files
- Sublime-compatible keymappings, including multiple cursors and selections
- Command palette/smart "go to" functionality
Help documentation is available at the GitHub wiki, including a list of possible keyboard/menu commands: https://github.com/thomaswilburn/Caret/wiki
User reviews summary
- Useful for editing text on websites
- Easy to use interface with familiar keyboard shortcuts
- Allows for multiple tab editing
- Regex search and replace capabilities
- Can save and load text files
- Supports various programming languages with syntax highlighting
- Customizable font and color themes
- Can be used offline
- Free to use
- Frequently updated with bug fixes and new features
- May not be as feature-filled as some standalone text editors
- Some users may find the interface too simplistic
- Does not work with all websites
- May have occasional compatibility issues with other extensions
- Some users report occasional crashes or freezes
- Can be slow with large files
- Easy to use
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Multiple tabs
- Syntax highlighting
Caret is relatively safe to use as it requires very minimum permissions.
Caret has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Caret: