Dark mode for every website. Take care of your eyes, use dark theme for night and daily browsing.
What is Dark Reader?
"Dark Reader" is a Chrome extension designed to enable a dark theme for any website. It inverts bright colors to high contrast, aiding readability at night. Users can customize settings such as brightness, contrast, sepia filter, and font. The extension is free of ads and does not share user data. It’s fully open-source, with its code available for review at its GitHub page. Users are sometimes encouraged to support the app through donations.
This eye-care extension enables night mode by creating dark themes for websites on the fly. Dark Reader inverts bright colors, making them high contrast and easy to read at night.
You can adjust the brightness, contrast, sepia filter, dark mode, font settings and the ignore-list.
We may ask you to support the development of the app with a donation. You may see news about Dark Reader in the settings popup. There are Developer Tools for experienced users.
Dark Reader doesn't show ads and doesn't send users' data anywhere. It's fully open-source: https://github.com/darkreader/darkreader
Before you install it, disable similar extensions. Enjoy watching!
User reviews summary
- Best dark mode extension that doesn't interfere with websites that already have dark mode
- Easy to navigate and works as stated
- Works instantly and seamlessly, reducing excess glare from white background sites
- Issues with flickering, particularly on YouTube
- Some text copied has black background associated with it
- Issues with the disabled site list removal after every reboot
- Works seamlessly and well with a majority of sites
- Experienced issues after updates
- Needs better handling of sites already on dark mode and blacklisted sites
Dark Reader is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install Dark Reader if you trust the publisher.
Dark Reader has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Dark Reader: