Measure metrics for a healthy site
What is Web Vitals?
"Web Vitals" is a Chrome extension that analyzes key quality signals essential for optimal user experience on websites. It measures the Core Web Vitals such as Largest Contentful Paint, Cumulative Layout Shift, First Input Delay, and more. The tool offers features like an Ambient Badge for quick checks of performance thresholds, a detailed popup interface for individual metrics drill-down and a Heads up display (HUD) overlay for persistent tracking during development. This provides crucial insights on how the site is performing and highlights areas that need to be improved for a better user experience.
Web Vitals are quality signals key to delivering great UX on the web (https://web.dev/vitals). This extension measures the Core Web Vitals, providing instant feedback on loading, interactivity and layout shift metrics. It is consistent with how these metrics are measured by Chrome and reported to other Google tools (e.g. Chrome User Experience Report, Page Speed Insights, Search Console).
The extension captures: Largest Contentful Paint Cumulative Layout Shift First Input Delay Interaction To Next Paint (experimental) First Contentful Paint Time To First Byte
The extension provides three core features:
- Ambient Badge - This helps check if a page passing the Core Web Vitals thresholds.
Once installed, the extension will display a disabled state badge icon until you navigate to a URL. At this point it will update the badge to green or red depending on whether the URL passes the Core Web Vitals metrics thresholds.
User reviews summary
- Provides helpful metrics like CLS score
- Great for measuring and comparing web vitals
- Straight forward and easy to use
- Frequently shows metrics as unavailable
- Causes browser CPU to spiral out of control
- Flickering numbers are distracting and can't be disabled
- Questionable accuracy, gives vastly different results from other sources
- Shows 'waiting for input' issue for First Input Delay
- Inconsistencies in result
- Flickering numbers
- Unavailability of metrics
Web Vitals is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install Web Vitals if you trust the publisher.
Web Vitals has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Web Vitals: