A customizable, password-protected website blocker and redirector.
What is Block Site?
"Block Site" is a Chrome extension that allows users to take control of their web experience by blocking or redirecting specific domains. A master password controls all customization and access, offering a higher level of security. Features include custom redirection, message display on blocked pages, time-based blocking, protection against data leakage, and auto-closing of blocked tabs. It’s a powerful tool to increase productivity and digital well-being.
Block Site is now on the safer manifest v3. Please report the compatibility bugs you are experiencing. You can export the current rules to a JSON file and send it to me to investigate.
This extension will block access to websites of your choosing. A master password controls all customization options, as well as access to any blocked site. It's also possible to redirect navigation from one specific website to another.
- Block unwanted domains.
- Prevent access to a range of websites using wildcard matching or regular expression matching.
- Reverse mode allows access to only some hostnames and blocks access to all others.
- Custom redirection; you can redirect a single blocked hostname to a new destination.
- Display a custom message on blocked pages.
- Time and date-based blocking. Only block access to the websites at specified times and dates. This feature can be configured per hostname.
- Protect data leakage. This extension prevents certain hostnames from gathering network activity from your computer since blocking occurs before any network request is emitted to the server.
User reviews summary
- Customizable and open source
- Effectively blocks websites with options for password protection and custom block messages
- Simple to use with a user-friendly interface
- Good for productivity and parental control
- Free with no payment plans required
- Issues with the scheduling feature being unintuitive and not working
- Problems with the 'Pause Blocking' function being buggy
- Can be confusing when handling an extensive list of blocked sites
- Blocking page pop-up is inconvenient with no apparent option to disable it
- Sometimes refuses to add new pages to the block list or does not work
- Customizable features and user control
- Effective in blocking unwanted websites
- Simple and easy to operate
- Occasional functionality issues and bugs
- Free and open source
Block Site may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing.
Block Site has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Block Site: