Visual impairment simulation and auditing tools to develop for accessibility.
What is ChromeLens?
ChromeLens is a Google Chrome extension that facilitates the development of web accessibility features. This tool includes a 'Lens' that simulates varied levels of visual impairment, including complete, partial, or colorblind vision, allowing developers to interact with websites through these perspectives. Additionally, it features an 'Accessibility Audit' function that inspects websites for non-compliant elements according to accessibility rules. Notably, its 'Tab-tracker' function enables users to track website navigation through keyboard commands, thereby aiding the creation of websites that are accessible via keyboard alone. ChromeLens is an open-source project from greylockhackfest 2016.
ChromeLens is a Google Chrome extension that provides a suite of tools to help with web accessibility development.
Lens (Vision Simulator) Interact with a website as a completely/partially blind or a colorblind person.
Accessibility Audit Run a website through an series of accessibility rules and easily discover elements in your website that do not comply with them.
Tab-tracker Key website features should be navigable solely via the keyboard (tab button), while not making the user jump through hoops to get to a feature. With the tab-tracker, you can visually track the flow of navigation through a website.
Open sourced at https://github.com/chromelens/chromelens Built during greylockhackfest 2016
User reviews summary
- Helps simulate different kinds of color blindness
- Helpful in testing accessibility
- Great for front-end web developers and designers
- Once understood, it's easy to use
- Difficult to understand how to activate and use
- Interferes with image searching
- Does not reflect ARIA 1.1, only 1.0
- Difficulty in clearing lines from the tracing tabs
- Does not measure against the WCAG 'AA' standard
- Control+Shift+I is used to open/activate ChromeLens
- Useful in web development and design testing
- Interacts with DevTools
- Issues with image search functionality
ChromeLens may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing.
ChromeLens has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to ChromeLens: