Font Rendering Enhancer
Font Rendering Enhancer for Chrome. Darker and clearer text on the pages (http and https).
What is Font Rendering Enhancer?
The 'Font Rendering Enhancer' is a beneficial Chrome extension that originated from Opera Font Rendering. It works to make the text on web pages darker and clearer, improving readability. It applies the text to be displayed in a more anti-aliased format using CSS3 property. This tool is especially beneficial for modern browsers supporting CSS3 and userstyle support. It also includes a control panel for easy modification.
Description Font Rendering Enhancer comes from Opera Font Rendering by thunder13. Darker and clearer text on almost every page (http and https). Modified and ported Mac OSX Font Rendering by proxxy (from Opera on Presto engine). "The windows browsers render the fonts based on the normal sub-pixel rendering without implementing Font smoothing, anti-aliasing as noticeable as Mac OSX. This tweak applies text to be displayed more anti-aliased using CSS3 property. So modern browsers supporting CSS3 and userstyle support would be able to support it. ;)"
Modified (v 0.1.4):
- A Control panel
User reviews summary
- Improves quality of font rendering
- Customizable settings
- Effective on mobile browsers, particularly the Kiwi one
- Helpful for those who dislike the 'gray text' trend
- Particularly good results on Windows
- Causing Chrome Print Preview to hang after a certain Chrome update
- Vanishes YouTube subtitles' character edge style
- Not very effective on a PC browser
- Some issues with certain fonts, specifically the emojis
- Unable to handle texts with 'color:transparent' attribute
- Struggles after Chrome updates
- Improves the reading experience
- Influences on YouTube subtitle styles
- Missing features or options
- Compatibility issues on different platforms
Font Rendering Enhancer is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install Font Rendering Enhancer if you trust the publisher.
Font Rendering Enhancer has earned a fairly good reputation and likely can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Font Rendering Enhancer: