Font Fingerprint Defender
Defending against Font fingerprinting by reporting a fake value.
What is Font Fingerprint Defender?
'Font Fingerprint Defender' is a lightweight Chrome extension designed to systematically protect your privacy online. It achieves this by generating and reporting a random fake font fingerprint every time you visit a site or refresh a page, thus shielding your actual fingerprint. There are no settings to adjust - just add it to your browser and enjoy safer internet browsing.
Font Fingerprint Defender is a lite extension that let you easily hide your real font fingerprint by reporting a random fake value and protect your privacy.
This add-on does NOT block the fingerprint, instead, it simply adds a small noise to the actual fingerprint and "renews" it every time you visit a website or reload a page. It is important to note that, this add-on does not have any settings or options to adjust. Simply add it to your browser and start surfacing the internet. If you want to test this add-on, please visit a website that show your fingerprint (i.e. webbrowsertools.com/font-fingerprint/). Every time you reload the page, you will see a new fake fingerprint.
This extension is made in collaboration with the author of "Canvas Fingerprint Defender": https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/canvas-fingerprint-defend/lanfdkkpgfjfdikkncbnojekcppdebfp
Note 1: depending on your browser and platform, you may need to (Shift+Refresh) a web page to renew Font fingerprint.
Note 2: To report bugs, please visit addon's homepage (https://mybrowseraddon.com/font-defender.html) and fill the bug report form.
User reviews summary
- Works effectively in spoofing font fingerprint when Chrome is up to date
- Valuable to those focussed on privacy
- Easy to use
- Claims to specifically patch certain fingerprinting vulnerabilities
- Breaks functionality on some websites such as Discord and Gazeta.ru
- Suddenly opens unwanted sites and stops videos
- May interfere with text display on some sites, making fonts very small
- Has stopped working for some users
- Doesn't offer the option to whitelist particular sites
- Breaks some website functionality
- Useful for privacy
- Works well when Chrome is up to date
- Has caused display issues on certain sites
Font Fingerprint Defender may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing.
Font Fingerprint Defender is probably trust-worthy. Prefer other publishers if available. Exercise caution when installing this extension.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to Font Fingerprint Defender: