This extension makes your browser load Wikipedia content from one of the available Wikipedia mirrors, instead of wikipedia.org.
What is ZeroWiki?
ZeroWiki is a Chrome extension designed to redirect your access from Wikipedia.org to one of the many available mirror sites. Ideal for situations when access to Wikipedia is restricted, ZeroWiki eliminates the need for dealing with VPNs or DNS settings. It intercepts and reroutes your request to a mirror of your choice. Please note, the privacy and navigation experience is dependent on the chosen mirror sites. ZeroWiki is an independent project not affiliated with any mirror services.
ZeroWiki intercepts any request to wikipedia.org and fetches content from a Wikipedia mirror of your choice. It is especially useful for when you can't access Wikipedia for any reason and you don't want to deal with any VPN's or DNS settings.
Please note that most of the mirrors available in ZeroWiki are owned by people and not companies (except for Wikiwand). If you do not trust any of these mirrors, then I suggest you not use this extension. Also, I suggest you not enter any private information (username, password etc.) on any of the pages fetched from any of these mirrors as they most probably do not have any privacy policies (again, except for Wikiwand).
Any inconveniences regarding navigation between pages or in-page anchors are caused by the mirrors themselves, since ZeroWiki does not take any action once Wikipedia content is loaded.
ZeroWiki is an independent project and is not affiliated with any of the available mirrors, including 0wikipedia and wikizero.
User reviews summary
- Lightweight and uses less memory compared to similar extensions
- Works well with other languages and mobile views
- Does not ask for access to all site content, only to Wikipedia websites
- Bypasses restrictions and lets users access blocked content
- Simple and functional
- Issues with redirecting back to wikipedia.org for editing a page
- Possibly some issues in proxy mode with getting good quality images or formulas
- No clearly mentioned deactivation button or option
- Comparisons with Wikiwand extension
- Memory usage
- Ease of use
- Need for an update or modifications
- Compatibility with other languages and views
ZeroWiki may not be safe to use and it requires some risky permissions. Exercise caution when installing this extension. Review carefully before installing.
ZeroWiki has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.
Here are some Chrome extensions that are similar to ZeroWiki: